If you are unable to diagnose the cause of the occurrence of this Norton error, it could be due to a missing file or possible the software is unable to detect the server. If you Mac system is showing up any an unknown error to the installed Norton software and you are unable to fix the problem, get assistance by calling on Norton.com/Setup.
You can also refer to the troubleshooting steps when Norton antivirus displays the message of ‘an unknown error has occurred” on Mac. Check restarting your Macbook, run the software, and see if the error fixes, or otherwise, follow manual instruction.
How to Fix Norton Error- ‘An unknown error has occurred’ on Mac?
Open your web browser and search for the ‘Norton Remove Symantec Mac Files.zip file’, once you get the automated download link, click on it and download the file.
- Open download history by clicking CTRL+J key on the same web browser and open the file location
- Double-click on ‘RemoveSymantecMacFiles.zip’ or extract the file
- Open ‘RemoveSymantecMacFiles’ folder from the extracted file
- The file might require access, type in the password of your Mac OS X administrator and click Return. If no character appears after typing your Administrator password, carry on to follow the next step
- Select any from the option displayed on the screen
- To remove all Symantec files and folders, type 1
- To quit RemoveSymantecMacFiles without removing any files, type 2
- After clicking on your preferred option, press return and remove all the Symantec files.
- Click on the Quit Terminal option given on Terminal menu
If your Mac OS version is 10.8.0 or earlier and the Norton error has occurred, you are required to update to the latest version of Mac OS X 10.8.x operating system before you go to reinstall Norton product. Update and reinstall Norton software and if your operating system is already updated, simply follow the steps to uninstall Norton mentioned above. After completing the process, reinstall the product to continue the troubleshooting process.
Download and reinstall Norton Antivirus
Go to Norton.com/setup and login to your Norton Account by clicking on the sign in option available at the top-right section of the main Norton Window.
- Enter your login details and sign in to your Norton Account
- If you don’t have a Norton account, click on sign up button, create an account by entering all the required details and following the on-screen instruction
- After signing in to ‘My Norton Account’, on the main Norton Setup window, click on Download Norton
- Click mark on Agree & Download checkbox
- Click OK to save Norton Setup.zip file and then open it
- Wait till the download is under progress and then launch Norton product Installer
- Click Agree & Install, this will start Norton installation on Mac
- Follow the procedure shown on-screen and complete the process
- Click Continue after LiveUpdate completes installing updates
At the end of the process, you will receive a confirmation pop-up of Installation Successful. Restart your Mac system and launch Norton to perform scanning of your device. If you still face any error or failure to follow the steps, get help directly from Norton Setup Customer Support and fix any Norton error.
Lena Smith, the writer of this article has been in writing for five years. While writing, she focuses on mentioning each and every detail that can help her readers know about the latest technological changes, including Office updates, Microsoft product launches, antivirus errors, printer errors and more.