Mechanism of Formjacking
When a buyer on shopping website fills the personal details on the payment form and clicks the “submit” button, the malicious JScript code collects all the details and passes it on to the hacker’s computer. The payment from usually comprises of details such as debit card number, cvv, your card’s PIN, and that is enough for a hacker to misuse it and committing debit/credit card fraud.
Read Here >> How to take control of data hacking from Public Wi-Fi?
Many surveys show that any company, anywhere in the world, which processes online payments, is also a potential victim of this fraud.
How are websites being compromised because of formjacking?
There are many ways attackers can attempt to compromise websites. The attackers use a supply chain attack to gain access to the website and modify the code on its payment page. This chain allows attackers to gain access to websites of large companies. These attacks are particularly challenging because it breaks the hardest walls of your cybersecurity system.
The hackers widely targeted third-party companies that are used on e-commerce sites to manage analytics, websites support, and more. Researchers say that the attackers could potentially infect thousands of websites in one go.
Ways to stay protected from such attacks
At times, victims may not even realize that they are the target of attackers. This happens because even after being attacked, their sites tend to work normally. However, one must take steps to refrain from such attacks:
- Norton’s customers are protected from formjacking attacks with Intrusions Prevention System (IPS) technology.
- Not only online buyers, but website owners are also at high risk of falling victim formjacking attacks. They should also be aware of the dangers involved in the supply chain.
- Keep an eye just like a detective does, even on seemingly legitimate ones so that you can detect any suspicious behavior.
- You should also monitor the behavior of all activities of a computer system. This will help you identify any unusual pattern so that you can block a suspicious app before it affects your finances.
- The persons who develop software should make sure that they are able to detect unusual changes in the software update process and on their website.
- Owners of the websites can also make use of integrated security tags to lock down third-party scripts and from gaining access to users’ data.
Users should be cautious before proceeding with making online transactions. It is recommended that you should keep a regular update your financial statements book and see if any unusual activity has happened. If you see it, then you should immediately change your PIN and also report such websites so that others don’t fall victim of formjacking.